Monday, September 08, 2008

Celebrity Mediterranean Cruise - Rhodes, Greece

I awoke before 8 am today and headed to the Fitness Center where I ran 4 miles in just over 39 minutes. I felt pretty good at the time but then shortly after returning to our cabin, started feeling queasy with an upset tummy. I was really hoping it was just overindulgence of dairy products (milk, ice cream, etc) rather than gastroenteritis so for breakfast, I stuck with potatoes, fruit, and pastries instead of the milk and cereal I’d been having every morning. I was still not feeling well when we left the ship to explore Rhodes. We walked through the port and across the street to the walled off portion of the city looking through some shops and stopping to admire an old courtyard with great arches. We picked up a chess set for Rhys made of alabaster stone with the Spartans fighting the Persians for 60 Euros. We then climbed some steps up to a lookout point but by this time I was really not feeling well and we decided to return to the ship. We walked back to the ship and immediately went back to our cabin – it was only about 10:30 am. I lay on the bed with waves of cramps and got up to use the bathroom intermittently. I fell asleep about 11:30 am and didn’t get out of bed until late that afternoon – around 3:30. I was feeling a little better – the cramps were gone. I sipped on some water which didn’t seem to make me nauseous – a good sign, so we stopped by the Tastings CafĂ© to get some snacks. I had a canapĂ© with ham and cantaloupe and a chocolate meringue cookie. We sat for a while until about 6 and then met our cocktail friends but decided to head back to the cabin again still feeling queasy. I took another nap and when I awoke, Seth suggested getting some sushi which turned out to be a good idea. I also had some rice noodles with chicken and mushrooms. We returned to the cabin and watched “Mr Brooks” on my computer then went to bed. Maybe someday we’ll come back again to Rhodes and explore.

No comments: